Sunday 21 October 2007

Back in the land of bears and beavers

So, after living in the UK for two years, 8 months, and 25 days, we moved back to Canada. Actually, I came first, on September 25th, and Rob arrived later, on October 9th.

It's been a busy few weeks. I've been spending time getting caught up with family and friends, and we've found a condo to rent in downtown Toronto, and also a house to buy in Millbrook (a very cute town about an hour from Toronto).

I've had some serious culture shock getting back into the Canadian way of life - I've had to stop myself from saying 'trousers', 'pudding', and 'mobile', and am slowly adding North American words and spelling back into my life. The dreaded Canadian upspeak has crept back into my voice when asking questions. I guess that's good because for the first few days I was getting a lot of abuse from people saying I had a funny accent. I think you Brits reading this will agree that I never had any hint of the limey twang in my voice - as proven by my innability to say water or yoghurt the proper way.


I'd be lying if I said it hasn't been really weird being back here. We have both been really missing England, and St Albans, and especially all of the friends that we made there. But, we're looking forward to an onslaught of British houseguests in the near future.
Here are a few pics to give you an idea of what life has been like for the past 25 days!

Charley and me hangin' in Ottawa




Oggy and Penny enjoying some fall foliage



Charley helping with the gardening




A frisky cow getting intimate with Charley's foot at the Ottawa Experimental Farm (and yes, that's Lee's 'up the duff' belly in the picture too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment