Thursday 28 January 2010

Puke Mountain: The novel

So, we (barely) survived our weekend at Blue Mountain. And unfortunately, the resort is going to have to be renamed 'Puke Mountain'. (A less attractive name, to be sure, and won't help Intrawest sell off the property, but I'm afraid it's now the more appropriate name).

The high points? Good food. Good friends. Beautiful weather on Saturday. A gorgeous location, and 2 nicely appointed condos. Laughter, skiing, fun in the great outdoors. And Evy had SO so SOOOOO much fun with the other kids.

The low (low low looooow) points? Puke. And peepoops. An unwelcome guest called the flu... or possibly using his ole' alias, Norwalk Virus.

Of the 20 of of there, 8 people ended up getting sick. That's only at last count, mind you. There could be further casualties that I don't know about yet (not to mention that Evy passed it on to the husband of our daycare provider, who will probably try to shoot out the windows of my car the next time I drop her off there - and you can't blame him really. I was lucky enough to avoid this ebola-like illness, but, from what I hear, it's one of those lovely instances where you really need 2 toilets - one for each end.)

I know what you're thinking right now... "Why Sarah, this has GOT to be your most deeee-lightful blog post EVER!"

Hey, I make no promises about the savouriness (or gag-reflexeriousness) of my content. And between Rob and Evy both being sick earlier this week, my gag-reflex has been working overtime and I need to share the misery.

The light at the end of the tunnel: As of yesterday, both husband and child are better. The carseat cover washed out suprisingly well. And, I've chloroxed the entire house until the paint is almost worn off the walls.

The dark at the end of the tunnel: Along with this horrible flu, Evy has a brutal cold and sounds not unlike Louis Armstrong (hard for an 18-month-old, I know, but she manages it). And, because I mocked Rob for needing Yops to get over the flu, Karma dictates that I shall suffer from this cold. And suffering I am.

So, from hereontoforthintheworld, I hereby decree that Blue Mountain shall be known as Puke Mountain, and that if you want to stay healthy for February, I shall advise you with a great amount of self-pity and regret, that you should probably stay away from me and my family. If there's a germ going, we seem to embrace it with an absurd amount of enthusiasm. If you cross the street when you see me, I shall not judge. Care packages of Vicks, echinacea and zinc lozenges (and Yops for Rob) can be left at the end of the driveway.

Here are some pics from the weekend (I'm pretty sure you can't catch germs through photos, so feel free to browse).


chaos in the condo
gathering in the warm glow of the Wii


Felicity, Evy and Bernie
3 little monkeys

Evy and Felicity take in the (mini) slopes


Rob gets attacked by a posse of children
(I suspect this is when he was infected with the dreaded virus)


Snow angel playing outside the condo
What a cutie!


I do sincerely hope that everyone has had a fine latter-half of January, and here's to next month and the fact that Spring is around the corner!

No comments:

Post a Comment